The Devil Queen

How my wife and I sold our souls to the Queen Anne Victorian we tried to save.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Crow Mountain, Arkansas, United States

Synopsis: This is a cautionary tale. A seriously disturbed couple find the charming, old ruin of a Queen Anne Victorian in Russellville, Arkansas, and buy it for $1.00. They tore the roof off, cut it in half, and had it moved to some land they owned sixteen miles away because they didn't know any better. Since then, they have hired and fired contractors, had all of their tools stolen, re-wired, re-plumbed, insulated, and essentially rebuilt the entire house. Their only problem is that after four years it still isn't finished. Now they are tired, broke, and wonder what in the hell it is they've done to themselves. And, it's haunted.
(Last updated on April 3, 2008)

Press: Russellville Courier Article - December 2003, HGTV website article, AP story - October 2006, and Victorian Homes Magazine - February 2008 (link coming soon).
Art: From time to time, I receive requests for my art. If you would like to look at more of my art, go to The Failed Artist. If you would like to buy my art, email me. I am more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Thanks!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Comments et al.

Hello All,

Sorry it’s been a while. Still tying up a few loose ends relating to the Queen. Don’t worry, nothing serious. The deal is still final. School and work have been keeping me very busy too. The only reason I have any time is that I’ve been in bed with the flu pretty well all week at this point. So, I imagine I’ll be behind in everything for weeks to come.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments on the previous post. I would also like to say that Housebloggers (and the Devil Queen’s other readers) have consistently been the nicest people that I’ve never met (face to face). You guys have been a great audience and an invaluable resource over the years. So thank you all very much.

As for the comments, I thought I’d address them here:

Whiskeratti, what next? Law school. I apparently have a deep-seated need for things that will fully monopolize all of my free time.

Jayne, thanks. I’ll see what I can do on that count.

Jason and Heather, thank you and good luck!

Holly, thanks! It is a great relief.

Old House Lover, thank you. Sadly there was absolutely no profit involved for us. Just getting out from under it was enough at this point. It was killing us.

Bryan, thanks. And yes, that was an unsettling coincidence. I couldn’t have planned it any better if I’d tried. Fitting, no?

Greg, that it is. Thank you. And good luck to you as well. It looks like you still have a ways to go yet. You haven’t started on the second floor yet, have you?

River Watson, thanks. I’ll have to get back to you on that sorrow v. joy thing. Time, perspective, and all of that. Right now it still stings.

Kate H., so long as blogger is free and the Internet survives, I plan to keep this site up. And you have a good point. I guess we kind of did save her, but you can never account for what the next person is going to do. And we all know that I am an optimist.

Jasonandefer,

I’m sorry that we never got to meet you, but I wish you the best of luck should you decide to build up there. It really is a pretty spot. Thanks!

Regarding the blog, according to our realtor, the buyer found the blog and read it before they bought it. How is that for crazy? No matter what happens, you can’t say we didn’t warn them.

Lenise, even the wicked must pass too, eh?

Janine, what makes you so sure we didn’t try an exorcism? Or two?

If I ever make it to Canada, we’re having a beer. Seriously.

Green Fairy, thanks and good luck with your house.

Anonymous, I totally relate to the irrational hate thing. At some point, you just can’t take any more whether it makes sense or not. And yes, a huge weight has been lifted.

StuccoHouse, thanks. Don’t worry. If I ever buy another house (or building) and it needs work, I’ll definitely blog it. At this point, it seems like the natural thing to do.

Happenings, I’ll have to get back to you on that. This going to sound insane, but we tried so many things over so many years that I can’t quite remember. I will say that I am a big fan of the heat gun because all methods of paint stripping suck ass. It’s a matter of preference really. I want to say that Removal worked fine on latex, but no so much on the others. And it often needed multiple coats. But, let me check on that again. Good luck.

I any case, I’ll be back when I can. I actually have a few more posts in mind since the sale is final. See you around.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Old House Lover said...

John, get well soon!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Happenings said...

We tried the RemovAll and it didn't touch the underlayers, you're so right. We're using the heat gun (mine broke, haha, so I didn't have to peel this weekend).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uQZ0-l3c2g

Thanks and best of luck with your next adventure!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Amalie said...

The comment about exorcisms reminded me that we were stopped by a stranger the other day to tell us about all the miracles that were achieved in our living room through prayer; she offered to show us the places in our house that were physically anointed with holy water by "a powerful prayer-lady." It was interesting and a bit awkward to say the least, and it does NOT explain the continued ghosts in the place.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Website Counter